Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bleeding Green in a Red Country

The Celtics are the World Champions! I seriously considered not putting the exclamation point on there, because even as a diehard Celtics fan, and I am, #17 really did not affect me that much. In fact, I can't envision a scenario in which I less actively participated in the whole regalia. Maybe if I was on active duty in Iraq. Basically the games ran here at 8 in the morning and I had work on the day of game 6. I talked myself into not following the game live and then watching it that night on a 12 hour delay at this bar/pizza joint with English announcers. However I never go to the pizza place with any friends cause I don't know anyone here who likes the Celtics and its always awkward trying to get a seat at tables made for 4 and no one else there seems to ever be a Celtics fan. Anyways, I found out the game was showing on the 7th floor at my office and managed to get out of my English 1 on 1 lessons early and go to watch the 4th quarter...by which time the Celtics were up by 30. NBA, where drama goes to die. It was still fun watching Ray Allen swish 3 pointers and seeing the gatorade bath (wow Paul) and the whole celebration. It may have gotten a little misty, not gonna lie. But I delighted in Doc Rivers hugging his son...the younger one, Jeremiah was nowhere to be found. Probably watching Hoosiers on HBO and texting his congrats to his father and asking to be un-disowned.

So yeah, between my lame celebration after the Red Sox equally undramatic 4 game sweep on a Sunday night, and my huge celebratory plans killed when the Patriots got...yeah.... and this Celtics thing, this amazing Boston sports year hasn't resulted in as much wild happy Cal as you would expect. I'm actually not complaining, I'm thrilled by this amazing luck after years of nothing and if the Patriots had won the Super Bowl, my Facebook hometown would be Titletown, USA. Anyways I'm in Beijing now, Traffictown, China and I should stop talking about Boston sports. Especially if Alex Laws reads this.

I ran a fun quiz today as my "course" where I divided people into 4 teams and had geography, riddle and trivia questions. I wanted to promote discussion in English and after several boring lectures I thought this one would be fun. Well it kinda fell flat, I mean I had fun, but there wasn't as much discussion because people didn't want other teams to hear the answer (why didn't I think of that?) and the questions could have been better. But I really enjoyed my geography questions, which involved me throwing a picture of a place on PowerPoint, mostly google images pictures of famous places but also a few of my own pictures in random places. Work has gotten pretty monotonous and I'm speaking too much English to really take advantage of working with lots of native Chinese and improving my Chinese, but all in all its a nice job. I don't have people nagging me all day, I just have the lessons which are usually not too hard to prepare, and the two courses. I'm on facebook about an hour a day. I'm also a terrible person.

So yeah midnight just passed and for the first time this week I haven't been wasted. Monday I was hanging out with Crystal, Tuesday I saw Kate and Angela and celebrated Kate's birthday and Wednesday Lisa dragged me dinner with other Beida people and then they made me get drunk. That's definitely a little excessive and I think my work has actually been suffering as a result. I mean I want to exercise, play ultimate, do some writing and explore this city and all I've been doing is getting Tsingtao and Cosmopolitan's at Lush. I literally have not left Wudaokou this week except to visit Crystal.

Well tomorrow I'm planning on Karaoke with the Lisa crowd and then the Great Wall on Saturday. I was thinking of introducing Kate to that crowd and called her about dinner on Friday, but she couldn't do Friday and wanted to meet up tonight instead, so she came over to Wudaokou and we walked all around it. Its a really nice area thats grown on me - it has all my needs and more, from Starbucks to supermarket to restaurants of all shape and size to a very nice mall. Kate had said that any clothes bought in China cannot be worn in the US but this mall actually had legit fashion. Ok you know what I'm definitely boring anyone reading this, promise I will post more exciting stuff here next time (Great Wall and Karaoke should provide some ammo). By the way, I still maintain the best season by a Boston sports team this year was the New England Patriots and if you argue otherwise, I am seriously questioning your Boston fanhood.

No comments: