Sunday, December 20, 2009

Halfway Done with Senior Year

It's winter break and I'm home and want to blog. It's been another great year and I really feel the need to encapsulate it. First semester senior year started off a bit like first semester freshman year - except that we knew what we were doing. There was all the newfound excitement of being 21 in Georgetown, reuniting with previously abroad friends, and taking in the benefits that come with being the premier class on campus. This culminated in either Senior Dis-Orientation, a thoroughly enjoyable shitshowvaganza, or the seemingly never ending Halloween weekend. There was one point where classes seemed easy, people were optimistic about getting jobs, and every night seemed like a good night to go to Tombs. Then classes started getting hard, the crossword became an anchor weighing me down, lots of friends didn't find jobs, the Red Sox got eliminated and the year ended too quickly. Still though, I will remember it as a great semester that, though my 7th, involved a lot of firsts. Since I love making lists, here goes.

Among the firsts: going to AASA's Fall Ball, renting a car, getting dim sum in DC, going to Tombs Trivia, stealing flowers from NSO, visiting College Park, Outdoor Education trip (horseback riding), visiting old town Alexandria, going to a Chinese grocery market in Tyson Corner, tutored for cash, ran to the National Cathedral, sampling numerous restaurants, going to a Bill Simmons book signing, attending a dinner thrown by the Greek club, mopping up a floor of shit, getting a keg, waking up 10 minutes into a test, writing a crossword not for the Voice, being a food judge, and throwing a party (twice).

Overall it was a semester of senior leadership in Ultimate, continued Ramen consumption in pots, job applications, catching up with all the people I always got along well with but never got to hang out enough with, trying to get off campus, working on math homework with Maggie, Liz and Emmie, working on computer science homeworks with Emmie and Henry and bugging DJ, watching less sports, going to 21st birthdays at Tombs (at least 10), great ultimate parties, forgetting people's names, and Tombs Trivia.

It's been a great semester but not without its flaws. Like all times at college, I feel we can all get so caught up in our busy lives that we don't do the things we do agree are most important, but are more often luxuries we put aside. For me especially, I have a hard time doing things that are perpetually low priority, and as a result we didn't have cable for 3 months after we ordered it. In addition, this was a semester that I feel I really could have had all A's. I don't have my transcript yet but it probably won't be the flat 4.0 so that's less than ideal, but I'm also at a point at which grades aren't too big a deal.

So it wasn't a semester of crazy adventures and lots of traveling, but it was one of hanging with great friends. Other people really made this semester happen and it's made me realize how strange friendship really can be, how little we might really understand of it and how much we sometimes take it for granted.

No comments: