Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Break updates

Sometimes you just need a break where you do a lot, and sometimes you need a break where you don't do anything.  Spring break we did a lot and I loved it. Easter break I'm home and doing nothing and I'm loving it.

For our spring break in the first week of March I took part in an alternative spring break. I signed up mostly because I didn't have any terrific ideas. Believe me if I had more expendable income and some friends with me I would have loved to have hit up Bermuda or Jamaica or whatnot. I could have gone to High Tide for the 3rd straight year as well, but I felt that while that was always epic, I wanted to try something else. My friends Christie and Kerry had always gone on about how great ASBs were and how I should do one, so I resolved to go on one. Then I missed the deadline.

Luckily the Senior Class Committee also resolved to run an Alternative Spring Break with the idea that it'd be a great bonding trip and a fun time. They were also really late too and sent out an email announcing the trip after all the ASB deadlines had passed. They also had practically zero choice for their site location and by default we went to Tulsa, Oklahoma to do Habitat for Humanity.  We stopped by the city of Nashville on the way and I was stunned by how awesome that city was. I mean I only spent two nights and less than 12 waking hours there, but it definitely has quite the night life. We went line dancing at the Wild Horse Saloon, pictured right.

We got to see and experience Tulsa much more, not that there's much to see or experience.  But I actually appreciated that a lot. The city really felt American, not a place of boutiques or bigwigs but just a bunch of kindhearted people trying to make the most of their land. I had thought that an international city like DC would have more in common with London than it would with a small backwater place like Tulsa, but that's just not true.  There's something about the US that's impossible to quantify or qualify, but its a sense of familiarity that makes you know for sure that you're in the USA. And they drive on the right side of the road in Oklahoma.

We had a ton of adventures and fun in Tulsa, including using air guns and chainsaws, a creepy old guy who invited us to his "stabbing cabin," going line dancing in a giant place called the Caravan, Lance the sushi waiter who recognized me in the bathroom of the Caravan, dinner at some millionaire's amazing house by his outdoor fireplace and pool, lots of Chicken Fried and a shocking amount of puns (mostly contributed by the three guys).  I'd love to go into it but I'm too tired to right now. After all I'm on break.

So on to the random tidbits:

I'm living this tournament vicariously through Butler.  It's not just because they're an underdog mid-major, their school name is an aristocratic servant susceptible to lame jokes, or that they have a starter who's last name (Veasley) sounds like he is the combination of a Weasley and a Veela (like Victoire), that their coach is just 33 and looks younger, or that their bulldog logo looks really close to ours.  Actually those are entirely the reasons I like them.

I found one of my old Frisbee's here, a Life is Good disc that says "Do what you like. Like what you do. Radiate good vibes. Let it fly." I think this piece of plastic has really subconsciously inspired me over the years.

If you want a great senior schedule by only choosing courses that meet once a week, do not put all your courses on Tuesday and Wednesday.  If you do, you essentially don't have an Easter Break, since it's from Thursday to Monday.

I can't believe people take Justin Bieber's song "Baby" seriously. Well I can't believe anyone takes Bieber seriously at all, but this song especially is just plain funny. First of all, Bieber is now 16 but still sounds like he's 12, and he's singing about how he thought this girl "would always be mine." He also says at one point "I'll buy you any ring."  Really? What does this kid know about love? Or anything?  And then Luadcris' rap solo is even more ridiculous. "When I was 13, I met my first love..." It sounds like he's making a cameo on Sesame Street.  He throws in some of his trademark superfast lines so that we know that he's still cool, but the overall effect is sappy and ludicrous. The song is a Muppet Babies ballad that managed to become a Top 10 hit.

There's a lack of good Harry Potter jokes out there on the internet. I think this is a niche that I can try to fill, like how Fred and George found the joke market in Diagon Alley.

No comments: