Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why birthers offend me

It's pretty well assumed among liberals that people who keep harping on our president to prove that he's a natural-born US citizen are foolish, barking up the wrong tree and annoying as hell. But this issue, which kinda incredibly still won't go away and has led to a book being published, actually offends me. I'm not saying it's so stupid that it offends my intelligence, I mean that it actually offends my core being as an American born to immigrant parents.

Here's the point that for some reason I haven't heard anybody else make: NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE WHERE THEY WERE BORN. Literally, no one has any memory of when they leave the womb. So you kinda just have to take your parents word for it and trust the birth documentation that you were born where it said you were born. For most Americans whose heritage is American for generations back, there is no reason for them to question whether they were born in this country. But for children of immigrant parents, that possibility is at least out there. I have an American passport, have briefly seen my birth certificate and been told I was born in Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, but if someone pointed their finger and accused me of being born in Hong Kong, the only thing I could do is show them documentation. My parents are from Hong Kong, they've definitely lived there and definitely could have lied to me and been living there on July 22, 1988. I don't remember. I just remember going to an American pre-school. For Obama, I'm not even sure if his mother ever went to Kenya. But he does come from an international background and there can be doubts in his mind maybe that some parental deception has forever ruined his dream of becoming president. Any true historian can tell him not to worry and he has the documentation to prove it, but this kind of immigrant insecurity goes far beyond paperwork.

For white American birthers to question Obama's true birthplace, they are not only acting ignorantly but also insensitively and with borderline racism.

No comments: