Sunday, August 24, 2008

CUL: List of things I miss from home

I'm t-minus 45 hours or so until I arrive back in Boston. Life has been very different here in the far East, and many aspects of life, such as public bathrooms and morning coffee, totally blow. Here's a list of things I miss, not including people, cause of course I miss every single one of you readers. Both of you. But seriously, I miss a lot of people :(.


15. Peanut butter and jelly: Not that I eat it very often, but you just don't see a whole lot of PB&J here in Asia.
14. Reading lamp: I just never had one here in Beijing and turning off the lights was cumbersome. Didn't read as much as I expected I would have.
13. My US cell phone: This China one sucks so much omg I can bite it in two right now but I need it.
12. Baseball: And major league baseball, I don't care much for Olympic baseball.
11. Suburban life / driving: I've been in cities for too long, and would really like to see flowers and trees. If I recall correctly, they're pretty.
10. SportsCenter: Duh. Da-ne-na, da-ne-na!
9. Dairy products / CHEESE: They just don't do it right in China, and I can't even drink the milk in China for fear of getting sick. And I love cream cheese, ice cream, grilled cheese, milkshakes, frappes, cookies & milk...basically all things that I have very limited amounts of for the last 3 months.
8: My toilet: It's just...so nice. Some points you can't express. There's a difference between the toilets here in Asia and the one in my bathroom, and I don't want to go into it, but believe me, it's there...and it's dirty.
7. Cleanliness: This ranges from the streets to the food to my sheets.
6. Coffee Coolatas: Gimme! GIMME!@@#!#!$
5. Anna's Taqueria: I could go for a triple cheese quesadilla right now. And similarly:
5b. Avocado: Although I had a burger with some here in Hong Kong - it was my first avocado in 3 months since I left LA.
4. Stomach security: the food in China just doesn't agree with Westerners and even 3 months later I still hadn't adjusted. Which SUCKED.
3. No more government censorship: Big brother is no longer watching me!
2. English: It's a great language. And I know it. At least one of the previous sentences do not apply to Mandarin Chinese, and as much as I enjoy improving my Chinese and practicing it, and as much as I fear I will lose my competence by not taking any more classes and living in Europe for the rest of the year, I am sick of the language. I want to be able to you know, understand people around me.
1. My shadow: Did you know? Because of the air pollution, you can never see your shadow from the sun in Beijing. Not only does it throw off a lot of metaphors and sayings, but it deprives me of my best friend.

EDIT: Somehow I left out both hanging out with guy friends (after a summer of lots of girl time), and American money, especially those pretty quarters from different states.

No comments: