Wednesday, August 27, 2008

MATH: Beijing by the numbers

Today we have a Math post, which is really just because numbers are involved. Like any by the numbers column, I list some number and then explain it. So knock yourself out.

1,300,000,000 - people in China
17,000,000 - people in Beijing, plus or minus 1 million
91,000 - seating within the Bird's Nest, which was packed except for the media section right in front of the finish line
70,000 - Chinese volunteers during the Olympic games spread throughout Beijing streets, subway stops, hotels and Olympic venues
15,000 - Performers at the Opening Ceremonies. No performer appeared in more than one act
1,200 - Foreign volunteers during the Olympic games
1,100 - Estimated amount, in RMB, spent by me on Long Island Iced Teas
900 - Estimated amount, in RMB, spent by me on Long Island Iced Teas at Lush
212 - NOCs participating at the Olympics
90 - Days spent in China, including 6 in Hong Kong
80 - Estimated bottles of Tsingdao consumed
55 - Estimated visits to Lush
53 - Coworkers taught by me
51 - Gold medals won by China
37 - Estimated times I was asked if I was mixed
36 - Gold medals won by the US, the exact same amount they won in the 2004 Games
24 - Hoyas I met in Beijing
20 - My age after July 22
18 - Floor I lived on
16 - Building number I lived on
11 - Olympic events I attended
10 - Hucks that I threw in league play
7 - Olympic venues I entered
5 - Hoyas that I met by design in Beijing
4 - Hoyas that I met in Hong Kong, all by coincidence
4 - Days I couldn't walk without crutches
4 - Syllables in Michael Phelps' last name in Chinese
3 - Hucks that I threw that were caught for scores in league play. My team could have been more athletic
3 - Dinners that I cooked
2 - Times I ran out of electricity
1 - Times I ran out of gas
1 - World records I saw set live (women's 3000m steeplechase)
1 - Rank of this summer on the list of best summers of my life